Saturday, January 5, 2013

No sugar and no flour 100 % oatmeal home-made cookies

Strange title for a post in a crafts blog, isn't it? Well, you are correct :), but as you have noticed I left a tab for the so called 'Kitchen crafts', in which I could also include my kitchen crafts ideas as for example the curtains in our kitchen, which I made myself,  but this post will include some recipes, which I love making and happily share with everyone. 

Although, this is not culinary blog, along with crafting I do enjoy cooking as well and most of all I love baking. 

100 % oatmeal no sugar cookies
I bake cookies, cakes, muffins, strudels, biscuits (both in the American and British meaning of the word), focaccia, scones, breads, pies, quiches, tarts, tartalets, eclairs, etc.... ,everything that has to do with dough, and you need to begin from scratch. And I love it! A baking challenge? I am in, and although it may take few attempts till it looks and tastes right, I don't give up.

It could be a hereditary skill. My favorite grandmother is a great baker. I still keep in my memories the smell of freshly baked bread served for dinner or the view of the ready home-made filo dough, which we were not allowed to touch, so we would't damage the tender surface.

So, occasionally I will add here some of my favorite baking recipes and I hope they will inspire you too.


Choice number one has been rather humble as the title suggest. I am giving you my favorite recipe for no sugar no flour 100 % oatmeal home-made cookies.


But how did I come up with that recipe? A friend of mine visited me when I was in my ninth month pregnancy and brought freshly baked wonderful banana bread. I can't describe the smell and the taste of that bread :) but I can describe my disappointment as I could't have any of it - with the nine month big belly, I really had to avoid flour and sugar. So then I decided to make my own version of the banana bread. The result was this recipe.

No sugar and no flour 100 % oatmeal home-made cookies 


(makes around 14 pieces, 55 ccal/per one)

Ingredients:
No sugar no flour cookies

The ingredients are literary what you see on the image above :).

2 eggs
150 gr. oatmeal
5 tb.s. plain yogurt
1 banana (or 1/2 banana + 1/2 red delicious apple)
30 gr. raisins

Optionally:
20gr. linen seed

Mix the eggs together. Cut the banana (apple) into big chunks. Add all the ingredients together while mixing with a fork. Wait for a bit till the oatmeal soaks the yogurt and eggs. The consistency of the mixture can be seen in the picture under.

Consistency of the dough

Once ready, spoon the mixture onto baking paper and shape into cookies as much you can achieve such form :). Try to add at least one visible banana piece and couple of raisins per cookie.

Optionally, decorate with sesame seed.

Bake in pre-heated oven on 175 C, for about 15-20 minutes. Do not wait for the cookies to turn into golden brown, then it's too late and they become too dry.

Serving suggestions: as they are or with coffee, tea, or I like having them with my dried plums no sugar jam (dried plums softened for for 5 minutes in boiling water and when chilled mixed-in with a hand blender), but I strongly recommend you to try them as they are first. You will be surprised how sweet they are without any sugar added.

No sugar no flour 100 % oatmeal cookies


These cookies are simply your oatmeal porridge morning breakfast, but just in a different shape :). Rich on fiber, and with natural sweetness from the fruits they are perfect for your morning coffee break or afternoon tea time. If you wish to lower the calories, you can substitute the banana with an apple, the raisins with dried plums cut into pieces and use low fat yogurt. 

Bon Appétit! 


No comments:

Post a Comment