Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas cards series: Home Classics

It took me a while to have this post ready, but I hope it will be worth for the reader.  As I have mentioned before, we do send quite a bit of post cards every year, or at least we think we do, if 30 Christmas cards is considered a lot. However, making 30 cards was time consuming for me. I think I get a little impatient at the end to start sending them already. 

But, but,... enough rambling, here they are, the first part of the Christmas card in this post. The cards you will see here are collected under a common theme called Home Classics. All the colors and decorations used remind me of the Christmas spent at home as a child with my parents, the fireplace, red woolen knitted socks we would rather need to wear to keep us warm than hang :) , the Christmas tree decorated with classic round glittering balls - very fragile and easy to break, all the gifts wrapped in deep red paper decorated with red ribbons,.... and the smell of granny's pumpkin pie (traditionally in Bulgaria consumed as a Christmas dessert) served on a hand crocheted table cloth. Ah..... the childhood memories... 

Back to the cards here. Many of them are made by just combining a paper base, scrap-booking paper and some decorations. For those that a bit different technique is applied I will write a short explanation. 

Well, and the cards:

1. Snowing Heart 


All materials are from Tiimari and Sinelli stores. The Christmas wishes at the bottom are made using clear stamp by Papermania.  


2. Checked Snowflakes

Paper and snowflakes from Sinelli, the brown cardboard and 'Merry Christmas' sign saved from last years' Christmas gifts and the ribbon is from Vivi Gade's Helsinki collection.


3.  Santa's little helper 

'Hyvää Joulua' or Merry Christmas in Finnish
This card was inspired by my friend Katja, who makes wonderful cards. So I used her idea, from a card I've received from her two years ago and added some of my own design. I wanted to keep the look clean and simple, just three colors in total and to further exalt background I used paper tearing as a distressed technique.


4. XmaX Christmas


This card screams 'I do recycle' . All materials are left overs from other projects, and yet this is one of my favorite cards from this season. I like the 'old cowboy ranch' look of the card and it all happened by chance. As you can see I've intentionally rumpled and teared some of the paper of the card to intensify the effect.

And YES! It does say XmaX on purpose- as the card was intended to two of our friends who like to take it to the maX, so I played around with the words. :)


5. Oh tannenbaum!


Well, very obvious a Christmas tree, but I have to admit that I am very prod of this design. I was lucky to find the background papers that have similar patterns (from two different sources and as a matter of fact one of of them I bough as a single piece of scrapping paper from the Hand-Crafts fair  in Helsinki in November'12), but both paper make a perfect match. If you look carefully at the corners I've used embossing technique for relief, again matching design to the background paper. The tree effect is made with Xmas tree shaped confettis and the brad is by Ho Ho Ho Funky Brads series by Dove Crafts.

6. Heart chaped mirror 


 Ribbon from Vivi Gade's Helsinki collection, corners effect with Fiskars' corner punch.


7. Sock Story


Also one of my favorite cards. Childish and charming, very easy to make and meant to make you smile. It was sent to our dear friends, who left Finland and moved to Austria recently. I wanted to give them a reason to smile when them open the envelope. The card was in combination with warm slippers and socks, presents for both of them.


8. Candied card 

'Hyvää Joulua'  or Merry Christmas in Finnish

Though the name, the card's appearance is quite simplistic. I was aiming to achieve a Christmas package resemblance. I've recycled a chocolate candy celofane :) and used two types of ribbons and Papermania clear stamp. 'Hyvää Joulua' stickers from Sinelli. 


9. Crochet memories 


I bough the crocheted lace trim from Tiimari, clear stamps by Papermania, pack-thread from the kitchen :), and embossed upper dark red piece of paper. 


10. and 11. The Round Set 


Although, different I've put those two cards together, because of the round center piece decoration. I should point out that I've personally draw and cut the circles on the card on the right, as I still refuse to buy cutting dies :). 

12. Glitter Tree

'Hyvää Joulua' or Merry Christmas in Finnish

Again a card inspired by my friend Katja. The idea of the glitter glue Christmas tree came from her. The rest of the card I put together. I found out that glitter glue is so easy to use and the result always seems to be nice. I've additionally decorated some of the background paper with the red glitter glue. The 'Hyvää Joulua' sigh is from Sinooperi.


13. Mini dreams


This card is small, as the title suggest - 10 x 10 cm and for making it I've used clear stamps and a hearts decorated red ribbon. This was one of the first times I tried using clear stamps and I was quite happy from the result of white ink on red paper. I still need to improve my technique, but I am definitely going to use clear stamps more often. 


Well, that was with the cards from the first series - the Home Classics edition. Although, a little bit late for Christmas I hope these cards can give you inspiration for your future crafting projects. 

Good Luck! and Merry Homey Christmas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment