Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine's day card in purple


Purple rain card for St. Valentines


This year I decided to join the monthly competition by Sinelli's blog "Valentine's card without red or pink" (the blog is in Finnish and for those who are wondering what is Sinelli - it is one of the biggest crafts stores in Finland or wonderland for me).

So, Valentine card without red or pink? Nice and.... yes, challenging. So I though, and thought... and after reorganizing my crafts stash several times (it is good that my husband is not aware the amount of staff for crafting I have, :))))) , I came up with purple. 

So here comes the list for the needed materials: 

yarn - for knitting the purple heart
thread - first time sewing a card
card base
paper  "Victoria and Albert V&A" by Papermania
a patch for fabric
gems
ribbons in purple and white
lace ribbon
glue 
printed text 

This rather simple card requires a bit of preparation - the heart I knitted myself, for which I need to modestly share I am quite proud of, as I am now learning to knit (just two months ago I started).

knitted purple heart 

Although, I big amateur in knitting, I manged to came up myself with the stitches I had to knit to achieve the heart pattern. Knitting with this thin yarn and needles size 2 was new for me and I had made some mistakes, but nevertheless I think it suits the vintage look of the card. However, to be honest, I realize that I miss the smooth and professional look of an experienced knitter's work, but I just have to practice more. Once the heart was ready I decorated it with the lace ribbon and two flower shaped purple gems. 

Additionally, I sew the card just to add some more decoration. I've seen other sewed cards and I find that this technique adds quite nice and adds different touch to the card. The birds decoration is a glue patch for clothing and I had a big dilemma, if I want to use it (not that I don't like it, the opposite - I like it a lot, to place it on a card, but there it is now...). 

And the rest it some ribbons and text...and this is it! 


Valentine's day card in purple


The card was not chosen as a winner, but if you look at Sinelli's blog page it was very tough competition. 

And last but not least.... I couldn't help but hear Prince's song "Purple rain", while I was writing this post, so if you have reached the end of the post, please click here and enjoy the song ( I respect Prince quite a lot as an Artists :) ).  

That's all from me today. I hope you have had a wonderful Valentine's day in a purple rain ;).

2 comments:

  1. Браво Поли-това е една страхотна нестандартна картичка която много ми хареса.Адмирации!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Благодаря Диди,

    Много се радвам, че ти е харесала. Малко е нестандартна, и аз така мисля, но реших да съчетая плетиво с хартия. Все пак мисля, че е добра идея. Пак бих пробвала с нещо друго. Тъкмо ще се упражнявам да плета.

    :)

    Много ссе радвам, че намираш идеите ми за интересни. Твоя блог също е много вълнуващ за мен.

    ReplyDelete